Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bihari Khichdi - have it with the 5 buddies!

From here
When I saw "one pot wonders" in Pavani's blog I wanted to cook this khichdi. This is from one of my friend Rajni whom I met during my degree course. She is from Ranchi, Bihar. I had this with chokha made with mashed potatos mixed in mustard oil. I bet it tastes soooooooooooo goooooooooood :). So I am here to share this recipe with you all.
I got this idea after seeing Meera's bihari khichdi. When I looked at her entry I got to know that she also refers Asha's Bihari Khichdi. I made few modification as per my friend Rajni to the original recipe.

Ingredients: Sufficient For Three People

1 Cup rice
3/4 Red lentil/masoor dal
1/2 Cup bengal gram dal/chana dal
2 Tblsp kabuli chana
1 Small cauliflower cut into its florets
4-6 Green chilies slit in between or chopped finely
1 Tblsp grated ginger
1 Tsp cumin seeds
2 Medium sized tomato cut into small pieces
1 Big onion cut into slices
1.5 Tsp turmeric powder
1/2 Red chili powder
salt as per taste
Oil for frying
2 Tblsp green coriander chopped finely

Method: Wash rice,dals and kabuli chana properly and soak for an hour. Cut cauliflower into small florets.
Photobucket
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering add onion and fry untill it turns into golden color. Add grated ginger and tomato, cook this for about 4-5 min, so that tomato can become a little soft. After 5 min add turmeric powder and red chili powder, mix well. Drain all the water from the rice & dal's mixture and add to this. Stir it for 1-2 min and add cauliflower. Pour 6-7 cups of water to this and add chopped coriander leaves finally. Adjust salt as per taste. Pressure cook this, 3 whistle are enough. In general this khichdi should be a little watery, but I made this dry. You can add water accordingly.

PhotobucketTip: There is a saying "khichdi ke char yar, dahe, chokha, papad aur achar" (There are four things to have with khichdi, curd, chokha (mashed potatos), papad and pickle). It tastes very good when you have this with all four.

This is my entry for Pavani for her MBP-One pot wonders this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment